Sunday, July 05, 2009

Greetings From The Glen--No Pix Today
In what I'll describe as a "senior moment", the infamous Fuji blog and Tweet camera was left safely on my desktop in the office. So I will attempt to do for you readers what I do on radio--that is, to paint a word picture. (I am thankful that I am around to have a senior moment--many of my brothers in arms weren't so fortunate during their service in the Army--and we always remember them, most especially on the Independence Day weekend).
Since 1977, I've been attending and covering races here at the Glen. I have been at the track when it snowed before a F1 race, and flat monsooned for sports car and CART Champ Car events. There is no such weather issue today--beautiful blue skies, moderate temperatures, and sun--good weather for growing grapes, and even better weather for racing.
The Governor of the Empire State, David Paterson, will be the honorary starter for the Camping World Grand Prix at the Glen. He, I'm sure, is glad to get away from the New York State Senatorial sturm und drang at least for a few hours--and appearing in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York makes an image that will be helpful in his bid to be elected governor in his own right.
Helio Castroneves set fast time in Indy Car practice for the race--his average was 137.731 miles an hour over the 3.37 mile 11 turn natural road course--first of three such circuits this year (Mid-Ohio and Infineon in Sonoma, California the others). Milka Duno was involved in a late session crash which will keep the Dreyer & Reinbold crew busy until race time this afternoon.
You'da thunk there might have been some pole Tweets from the Glen yesterday (7/4). Ryan Briscoe starts from the pole.
Tweets during the race and a post race blog post will be provided for your reading pleasure, along with the promised comments from auto racing legend H. A. Humpy Wheeler.

No comments: