Sunday, February 17, 2008

Daytona 500

Pre-Pre Race: We join you from the auxiliary press room, where our computer is set up. As some of you may know, I have other responsibilities for CBS News Radio from time to time. Since 2000, I've been their subject matter expert on American automobile racing. And I'll report for the network during the day from Daytona. We've talked with some of the CBS News affiliates around the country and all they want to hear about is Junior (Dale Earnhardt Jr., driver of the National Guard/AMP Hendrick Racing Chevrolet Impala). Our job is to distill 3 1/2-4 hours of action into 35 seconds for a network radio report.
This day marks two milestones; one tragic and one triumphant. The triumph--Dale Earnhardt's win in 1998. The tragedy--Dale Earnhardt's death on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500. Some fans still grieve (though not as painfully as that day in 2001); most all revere the "Intimidator", whose statue adorns the plaza in front of the Daytona 500 Experience.
I have no idea whether Toyota and Tony Stewart will grace victory lane. Some of my peers hope so, so the assembled media members will get a chance to cut Tony Stewart's hair afterwards. I have no idea whether Kevin "Happy" Harvick will repeat his 2007 win. I have no idea whether Matt Kenseth may fly fast enough under the radar and sneak into victory lane. Anyone who tells you that they do is just guessing. You really can't tell who will win until the last 25 laps; and sometimes not until the last lap (2007 again).
I will, however, make an educated guess when I update this post.
Early Race/Educated Guess
I am impressed with Sam Hornish...he was mixing it up with the merry pranksters from Joe Gibbs Racing...of whom all three (Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin and Tony Stewart) have led most of the 60 laps run so far. They run 200 laps. I like Jimmie Johnson's strategy to stay near the front...but not use up his car. "Educated Guess"--between Johnson and Hamlin, with the edge to Johnson. (Posted at 4:35 PM 2/17/2008)

No comments: